13 Crazy Facts About Eyes
WHAT: School is out for the summer, but that doesn’t mean kids (and grown-ups) can’t learn something new each day. Sandy T. Feldman MD, one of the nation’s top ophthalmologists, presents some fun facts about eyes that might surprise you:
- If your eyes wrinkle when you smile or frown, you appear more sincere.
- Frog embryos can fully regrow their eyes after injuries.
- It’s possible to sneeze without closing the eyes. (And no, they won’t pop out if you do.)
- Mantis shrimp can move their eyes independently of each other and in any direction.
- Trinidadian guppies turn their eyes black to warn other fish they’re feeling aggressive.
- It takes time for most body parts to “warm up” but the eyes are on their “A game” 24/7.
- Eyes heal quickly. It only takes about 48 hours for the eye to repair a corneal scratch.
- Seeing is such a big part of daily life that only about half the brain needs to get involved.
- Babies don’t produce tears until they are about 4-13 weeks old.
- Doctors have yet to find a way to transplant an eyeball.
- Each eye has a small blind spot in the back of the retina where the optic nerve attaches.
- Out of all the muscles in the body, the ones that control your eyes are the most active.
- 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or even curable.
WHO: Dr. Sandy Feldman, Medical Director of Clearview Eye & Laser Medical Center in San Diego.
CONTACT: I can arrange an interview with Dr. Feldman to discuss these fun facts or any other eye-related topic. Contact Diana Soltesz at [email protected] or 818-618-5634.
ADDITIONAL DETAILS: Sandy T. Feldman, MD is the Medical Director of Clearview Eye & Laser Medical Center – voted best LASIK center in San Diego by the San Diego Union Tribune (2016 and 2017) and CityBeat Magazine two years in a row. Her numerous awards include “Top Doc San Diego” and the Goldline Award, an honor granted to only 10 laser eye care providers in the U.S. each year. She has also been profiled in Forbes, Newsweek, and other respected publications. Dr. Feldman is a fellow of the prestigious American College of Ophthalmic Surgeons, as well as a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. She has successfully performed more than 20,000 refractive procedures. For more information, visit clearvieweyes.com.